Monday, November 8, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

This recipe is super easy and SOOO good!! And if you want it could easily be skimmed down to be a bit healthier. I made this for two parent seminars in a row and got good feed back. Just a note, though, don't try to rush the process... that milk will boil when it is good and ready. I ruined a whole batch of the base/broth by either having the heat too high on the milk, or perhaps at the very beginning by scorching the butter because I was distracted and in a time crunch. Luckily I had more milk on hand, and it is easy enough to start over with. It does take time to heat all the way through once the sour cream has been whisked in, so bear that in mind if you, like me, are on a time restraint.

Oh, and I know it's a bit of a hassle, but the baked potatoes make the soup, so I recommend actually baking them (not boiling). I got this recipe from the Taste of Home's fall soups magazine. The woman who submitted the recipe wrote, "My husband and I enjoyed a delicious potato soup at a restaurant while on vacation, and I came home determined to duplicate it. It took me 5 years to get the taste just right! I know you'll love this recipe." -Joann Goetz, Genoa, OH. Thank you, Joann, I do!!

Baked Potato Soup

4 large baking potatoes (about 2 3/4 pounds)
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
6 cups milk*
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Bake potatoes at 350 for 65-75 minutes or until tender; cool completely. Peel and cube potatoes.

In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes and green onions. Garnish with bacon and cheese.

Yield: 10 Servings.

*she didn't say what percent milk to use; I used 2%. Whole would make it quite rich, but with the sour cream it's not necessary. Not sure it would come out the same consistency if you used skim. 1% would probably be okay.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic, Joy!! hey - why did you start posting soup recipes just as we're coming into summer weather?? that's not fair!! it's too hot for soup!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, so sorry Clara, perhaps I should come visit and get away from the cold, cold, cold winter weather we get up here!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete