Monday, September 6, 2010

Creamy Carrot Soup--Posted by Joy

Soup Season! Autumn always inspires me to make soups and stews. I decided to try some new recipes this year. This recipe, though new to my making it at home, isn’t new for me all together. I’m not sure I would have picked this recipe out on my own, so God saw fit to have our parent seminar host, Pat, make it. I admit the first time I saw it I was skeptical. I mean I like cooked carrots, but pureed and served as soup?? Wouldn’t that be kind of like, I don’t know, heated up baby food??

But, I was hungry and pressed for time so I dove…and I was oh so pleasantly surprised!!
So, don’t be too quick to judge…this recipe is awesome!! The ONLY tweaking I did to it was to use half-and-half instead of full whipping cream. Mostly because that’s what I had on hand. Still tasted delicious, and had fewer calories…gotta love that!

PS I’m not a huge fan of either ginger or rosemary, but don’t exclude them. They make the recipe!

Creamy Carrot Soup
Serves 6 – 8

1 c chopped onion
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1 T honey
4-1/2 c carrots, sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1 large potato
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans chicken broth (total 29 oz)
1 tsp ground ginger
2 c whipping cream

* In a 5-qt Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender.
* Add carrots, potato, broth and ginger.
* Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
* Cool 15 minutes.
* Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
* Add remaining ingredients except cream.
* You can make the soup up to this point and hold it on a warm burner if needed.
* Just before serving, add cream and heat through.

2 comments:

  1. I have never eaten carrot soup... This sounds interesting... I'll have to try it sometime! :)
    Looking forward to seeing more of your recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good, Clara! I was, as I said, pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete