Saturday, July 23, 2011

Banana Split Bread -- posted by Jessica

This is a really moist and delicious banana bread recipe; with the chocolate chips and fruit it could be a dessert! The original recipe calls for 2 cups of chocolate chips, but as much as I love chocolate, I found that it overwhelmed the banana and pinapple flavors so I reduced it to 1 cup the next time I made it. Also, green maraschino cherries are fine too. That is what I had in my fridge the last time I made this (strangely, they were cheaper than the red ones! I would think they would be more expensive as they are dyed green).

Ingredients:
2/3 c shortening or butter (I have also used vegetable oil)
1 1/4 c sugar
4 eggs
3 1/2 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking pwd
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c mashed ripe banana (4)
2 (8 oz) cans crushed pineapple, drained
1 - 2 c chocolate chips
1 (10 oz) jar red Maraschino cherries, well drained and chopped
1 c chopped nuts

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour thru salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana and pineapple. Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries and nuts. Pour into 2 greased 9 x 5 loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 60 - 65 min or till done. Cool for 10 min then remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

Yield: 2 loaves 12 slices each.

No comments:

Post a Comment