Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tiramisu -- Posted by Jessica

So, I had ricotta cheese, egg yolks and whipping cream left over from the Hazelnut Cream Casatta and was looking for recipes to use them in. I came across this tiramisu recipe that if I cut in half would used up the egg yolks, whipping cream and most of the ricotta I had left so I decided to give it a try. I had it on good authority from my sister that it was a good recipe! Traditionally, most recipes of tiramisu seem to use mascarpone cheese so I'll have to try one of those versions sometime as well. But this turned out pretty well. I was short about 4 ladyfingers so it was a little more soft, though it did set up better as it sat overnight than from the intial 2 hour chill time. Also, I didn't have brandy and didn't want to buy some as I was cutting the recipe in half and would only need a few tablespoons so I substituted hazelnut flavor coffee syrup I had on hand and just reduced the sugar called for as the syrup is plenty sweet. I have recently discovered bottled Bolthouse Farms hazelnut latte flavored drinks (found in the produce sections of some grocery stores) that I really like (again courtesy of my sister!) so I figured substituting the hazelnut syrup should be good. And it did turn out good! And I had a little individual packet of instant coffee I had brought back from a hotel in Ireland that was exactly the 1/2 Tb I needed so I didn't have to buy any extra ingredients for this recipe except the ladyfingers, so this recipe worked out really well for me! Here is the full recipe:

Ingredients:

6 egg yolks
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c cognac or brandy
2 c ricotta cheese
1 c whipping cream, whipped
32 ladyfingers, split in half
1 Tb instant coffee disolved in 3/4 cup boiling water
1 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder

In top of double boiler, whisk together egg yolks, sugar and cognac. Place pan over simmering water in bottom of double boiler. Cook, whisking contantly, about 2 to 3 minutes until mixure is thickened. Remove top of double boiler; cook yolk mixure completely. In large bowl of electric mixter, beat yolk mixture and ricotta cheese on medium speed until blended. Fold in whipped cream.

Place half the ladyfingers in bottom of 13x9 inch pan, cut sides up. Brush with half the coffee and top with half the ricotta mixure. Repeat layers. Chill 2 hours. Dust with cocoa powder using fine sieve.
16 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment