Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pasta e Fagioli -- posted by Jessica

This recipe is a bit time consuming as it uses dried beans, but it is REALLY good, makes a LOT, and freezes well! The recipe calls for dried navy beans, but I used pinto beans as that is what I had in my pantry. I did have to cook them for longer than the recipe specified. Also, I used one 15 oz. can of tomatoes instead of the 28 oz. called for in the recipe and I used 5 cups broth (a mixture of vegetable broth and beef broth that I had in the freezer) to replace some of the water called for in the recipe. I then used a bit less salt since the broths I used were not a low-sodium variety. I would rather add salt if needed at the table rather than end up with a whole batch of overly salty soup. Also, I used a couple of extra handfuls of pasta which made this nice and thick which I prefer over brothy soups.
Serve with salad and a good Italian bread, you have a healthy and filling meal! (thanks to Cooking Light for this recipe)

Ingredients:

1 lb. dried navy beans (or pintos)
1 Tb olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, un-drained
9 cups water [or a combo of water and broth if desired]
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. rosemary
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 cup uncooked macaroni [I used shell pasta]
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Sort and wash beans and place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour then drain.

Heat oil in pan over medium heat then sauté the onion, carrot and celery 5 minutes. Add two garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the beans, 9 cups water or broth, red pepper and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour 50 minutes. Add salt, oregano, thyme, and remaining two garlic cloves. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf

Place 2 cups bean mixture into a food processor and process till smooth. Return puree to pan and stir well. Add the pasta and cook 7 minutes or until done. Stir in parsley and black pepper and serve topped with grated Parmesan.

Yield: 10 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment