Monday, January 12, 2015

Pumpkin Dutch Apple Pie -- posted by Jessica



This was my pie for Thanksgiving and it was super good! Definitely will make it again! I had a regular pie crust in my freezer, so I used that, but ended up having too much pumpkin filling so I had to back a couple of mini 'pumpkin puddings' I will make sure to use a deep dish pie crust next time!
I found this recipe somewhere online just searching for different pie recipes when I was thinking about what to make for Thanksgiving. I came across this one and thought the two pies in one was brilliant plus I love Biscoff  cookies so I decided to give it a go.
I'm glad I did! So good, especially with a bit of whip cream on top!

Pumpkin Dutch Apple Pie

1 store-bought deep dish pie crust or pie dough, fitted in a deep dish pie plate

For Apple Layer:
  • 2 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (I used a bit more; I LOVE cinnamon!)
For Pumpkin Layer:
  • 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 cup evaporated milk (not condensed milk)
  • ½ cup sugar (I used a bit less; about a 1/3 c or so)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste)
  • ¾ teaspoons cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
For Crumble Topping:
  • ½ cup all purpose flour
  • ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped (I used pecans)
  • 5 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 6 speculoos (spiced Belgian cookies  = Biscoff cookies), crumbled
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pie crust on a foil-lined baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon. Pour into the UNBAKED pie crust and arrange into an even layer.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well combined. Pour evenly over apple layer.
  4. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until just starting to set.
  5. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine flour, walnuts, brown sugar, crushed cookies and butter until it forms a mixture that resembles wet sand. Set aside.
  6. Remove pie from oven and top with crumble. Bake for another 20-23 minutes or until the pumpkin layer is set and the crumble begins to turn golden.
  7. Cool for about 30 minutes before cutting for best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment