Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Red Beans and Rice...just what the arctic temperatures called for!

So, last summer I was into charcoal grilling chicken with my own maple bbq sauce... fabulous!! One night I cut the meat off the bones so it would cook faster. Once it was done, I tossed the bones back on the grill and left them until the grill was cool. The result was charred meat and smoked bones, which I then threw into a stock pot with some veggies and simmered for 12 hours or so. I've been waiting for the motivation and opportunity to try out the smoked chicken stock, and thought that it would go well with some kind of Cajun cuisine. Using the recipe below as my base, I made red beans and rice for the first (but definitely not last!) time in my life. My modifications are as follows (also marked with * on the recipe):

I didn't have dried red beans, but I did have an old 2 lb can of red beans...I used them un-rinsed

I also added about half a cup of crushed tomatoes and green chilies from the freezer

I cut the cayenne pepper down to a sprinkle...1/8 tsp or less (it was plenty!) 

I crushed up maybe 1/2 cup of dehydrated kale and added that as well.

I cooked the veggies in olive oil and then added them and the canned beans to the smoky broth and brought it to a boil. Then I added the sausage and transferred it to a crock pot where I let it sit for an hour or so on low. Once it was totally warmed through (and delicious), I threw in 2 cups or so of uncooked rice and let it sit for however many hours it took for the rice to absorb all the water and be tender...not sure how long because at that point I went to bed :-) When I woke up and saw that it was done, I turned the crock pot off and let it cool for the rest of the night. It made TONS...and it is wonderful!

Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
 
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: MIAMI BEACH
Photo By: Caroline C
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 3 Hours 5 Minutes
Ready In: 11 Hours 30 Minutes
Servings: 8
"I grew up in Louisiana and love red beans and rice, these are just like I remember - red beans made with Cajun seasonings and andouille sausage. This is a great Sunday supper."
INGREDIENTS:
1 pound dry kidney beans *I used 2lb canned beans un-rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil *or however much needed
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 cups water *I used the smoky broth
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper *seriously, just, no! a sprinkle will do!! :-)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
4 cups water *since I threw the rice right into the broth I omitted this
2 cups long grain white rice
DIRECTIONS:
1.Rinse beans, and then soak in a large pot of water overnight.
2.In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
3.Rinse beans, and transfer to a large pot with 6 cups water. Stir cooked vegetables into beans. Season with bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
4.Stir sausage into beans, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
5.Meanwhile, prepare the rice. In a saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve beans over steamed white rice.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2015 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 1/6/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment