Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gingerbread Men Cookies -- posted by Jessica

Well, yet again, I had a holiday pudding mix to use up! Gingerbread flavor this time! I found a recipe on the Jello site for gingerbread people cookies the called for butterscotch pudding mix. I just subbed in the gingerbread one instead and cut back on the spices slightly.
I did find this dough to be a bit crumby and hard to work with. Next time, I would add an egg white to the mix and see if that helped hold the dough together. A lot of the reviews on the Jello site commented on how soft these cookies were, however, mine turned out crispy. But they were still really good and cute! I had not really attempted homemade roll out cookies before, so I think they turned out pretty well for my first try.

Gingerbread Men Cookies

3/4 cup butter softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 box (4 serving size) butterscotch OR gingerbread instant pudding mix
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tb ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Beat first 4 ingredients. Combine the rest of the ingredient and gradually add to the butter mixture. Chill 1 hour or until firm. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with gingerbread man cookie cutter and placed 2 inches apart on a greased (or parchment lined) baking sheet. Press on raisins or sprinkles for eyes and buttons if desired. Bake at 350 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 3 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: 20 cookies. (I actually got about 2 1/2 dozen. I think my cookie cutter was on the small size)

No comments:

Post a Comment