Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sweet Potato and Carmelized Onion Shells -- posted by Jessica

This is a unique take on stuffed shells; I love sweet potatoes so decided to give this recipe a try. I don't remember where I found the recipe; probably a link on Yahoo or something. I used Feta cheese instead of Gorgonzola (only because it was on sale at the time! I'll try the Gorgonzola next time). In all, I really liked how this turned out (I forgot to take a pic, sorry!) The gravy was a little odd. Perhaps next time, I'll try a light alfredo or some sort of cream sauce. Also, next time, I would bake it with the gravy or sauce to keep them moist. It is a little bit of work carmelizing the onions and baking and mashing the sweet potatoes and stuffing the shells, but I really liked the flavors and will make it again! It could be a good recipe to use after Thanksgiving to use up any leftover sweet potatoes and gravy! I froze some of the leftovers and the froze well so that is a plus!

Ingredients:

2 large onions, chopped
3 Tb butter
1 tsp garlic pwd
1/4 tsp salt
21 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tb sherry or apple cider
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tb minced fresh parsley
1 cup turkey gravy, warmed

Saute onions in butter until softened. Add garlic and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until deep golden brown.

Meanwhile, cook pasta shells till al dente.

Stir the broth, sherry, thyme, and pepper into the onions. Bring to a boil; cook until the liquid is almost evaporated. Remove from heat. Stir in sweet potatoes and Gorgonzola cheese.

Spoon into shell and place in greased baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with gravy.

Makes 7 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment