Sunday, January 1, 2012

Bran Flax Muffins -- posted by Jessica

I found this recipe on the back of a bag of flaxseed meal and had some carrots and apples to use up to decided to give it a try. They turned out great, healthy but tasty! The recipe does not call for any oil or butter, but I did add in a tablespoon of veg oil to keep them moist. The recipe also says it yields 15 muffins, so I cut the recipe in half thinking I would get 7 or 8 muffins; I ended up with a dozen, so whoever created the recipe must have used a larger muffin cup! They don't rise much so the muffin cups can be pretty much filled to the top.

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed)
3/4 cup oat bran
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking pwd
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrot
2 peeled and shredded apples (I didn't bother peeling the apples)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds as that is what I had on hand)
3/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together flour, flaxseed, oat bran, brown sugar, soda, pwd, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins, nuts and raisins, Combine milk, eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture just till moistened. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 350 for 15-20 min or till done.

No comments:

Post a Comment