Sunday, January 1, 2012

Skillet Chili Torta -- posted by Jessica

This was a really simple meal to try together. I did have to cook it much longer than the recipe states (30-40 min). Maybe because my tortillas were frozen when I put the casserole together. I think an extra can of chili or a can of green chili could be substituted for the can of tomatoes. Also, the recipe states it serves 4, but I got 6 decent sized servings from it. Super easy; definitely will make again! I'm not sure where I got the recipe; cut it out from some magazine years ago.

One 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilis
One 15.5 oz can small red beans, rinsed
4 8-9 inch burrito size flour tortillas
16 oz can spicy refried beans
2 cups shredded cheese
15 oz can chili, no beans
1 cup sliced scallions
sour cream

Drain liquid from tomatoes over bottom of large 2 1/2 inch deep skillet.  Mix tomatoes and red beans; set aside. Place one tortilla in skillet. Spread with half the can of refried beans then top with half the can of chili. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese and 1/4 cup scallions. Top with a tortilla. Spoon on half the tomato bean mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese and 1/4 cup scallions. Repeat layers once. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes or till hot in center. Let stand covered, 5 minutes. Cut in wedges and serve with sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment