Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holiday Bread Pudding -- posted by Jessica

I found this recipe in the newspaper for an ad for Smart Balance Spread. I had some slightly dry pumpkin waffles (still trying to get the hang of my new waffle maker!) so decided to give this recipe a try using up the waffles and it turned out great! The sauce is really yummy!

Pudding:

11/2 Tb Smart Balance Original Spread, melted
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 Tb vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries
8 oz Italian bread torn in small pieces

Sauce:

1/4 cup Smart Balance Original Buttery Spread
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tb milk
3 Tb bourbon or apple juice (I used brandy as I did not have bourbon)
1 tsp vanilla (as I type this recipe, I realize I must have used 1 Tb vanilla for the sauce as it was very vanilla-ey but delicious!)

Preheat oven to 350. Coat an 11x7 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray and add melted spread.
Combine next 7 ingredients; whisk till well blended. Add cranberries and bread and stir gently (do not overmix).
Pour mixture into baking dish and bake uncovered 35-40 min or till knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients, except vanilla, in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve with bread pudding.
8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment